May 1, 2011

Our Story: How We Met

I love thinking back on how Morris and I met. It was a very transitional time in my life. I had just made the decision to leave UAB and go to Florida College mid-year. I was to leave the first week in January 2003 going to Tampa FL. I was only taking 3 classes at UAB that fall and working about 20 hours a week as a waitress. I was trying really hard to figure out what I wanted.
One weekend during the summer my brother, Lee, asked me to go to church with him, since I wasn't really happy where I was, I figured why not. I really enjoyed going there and started attending regularly with him. It wasn't long after, that my parents even decided to join us. Lee had met many of the young people that went off to college that I didn't get to meet because I came in after they left. He kept telling me that he wanted me to meet this guy that he really liked. One weekend "the guy" was at church but had his arm around another girl. So we both decided maybe that wasn't going to work.
A few months later, in October of 2002, he came home unexpectedly for the weekend and brought a friend. Lee and I didn't know he was home until Sunday morning when he walked into class. Just typing out the words gives me butterflies! I remember that moment so well. I was sitting at the table talking to Lee and he looked up and said "Hey, Man!". I turned and saw this guy standing there, we made eye contact immediately and I could feel all of the blood leave my face! He was so HOTT! I remember thinking WOW, he is really cute! Lee, of course being the great brother he is, said "I want you to meet Allison, My sister." We said hey and shook hands awkwardly and he asked if the chair next to me was empty. It was so he sat down. I don't remember anything else about that class. It was an hour of studying and don't mean the bible! I would look over at him, because seriously he was dreamy, and every time he would catch me and smile!
Class ended and we went to the auditorium for worship time. All of the young people sat on the Left side of the church and I went to sit on the Right with my Mom. I sat down and proceeded to tell her about this really cute guy that Lee had just introduced me too. I pointed him out to her only to find him staring at us. At this moment he did something that changed our lives forever, He gave me "The Nod"! I am not talking about the "Hey How Ya Doin" Nod....I am talking about the "Come over here" Nod. I looked at my mom in shock and she said "Well...You better go over there and sit with him." I so surprised that she told me to do that, that I did it without arguing! (this is sooo not like me) So I sat next to him through church. After we mingled and said "it was good to meet you, see you at thanksgiving" and he left with his friend to go back to Harding University in AR. I continued to plan for my departure in January.
I thought about him but really didn't expect anything to ever come of it. During this time before Thanksgiving I learned that the other girl he had his arm around was his sister! LOL I also learned that he might be a bit of a player. He had gone on many dates the summer before college....all with different girls. So naturally I put my guard up.
Thanksgiving came pretty fast and Lee said that the group was getting together after church at a friends house and I should go with him. So I did. We went to our friend Charlie's house and played rook and Monopoly. Morris and I talked but nothing special was going on, only a little flirting. That was the only time I saw him over Thanksgiving with all of the family activities going on. But December was on it's way. The semester was coming to a close and I had finished taking my last final when Lee says, "the group at church is getting together to play cards, Want to go?" Sure, why not. Morris was there. Our group consisted of about 10 or 15 and we usually had a good time playing cards/games and watching movies. Over the next couple of days the whole group was together every night. Some nights we were at Charlie's playing cards and watching movies, some nights we were at Steven's or Harvard's, just doing what we do. During this time Morris had made it his mission to teach me how to play rook and he did. He taught me well and we became a team force to be reckoned with. But remember...I still have my guard up...Kinda!
During the next few days of hanging out with the group we ended up under the mistletoe at Steven's house and everyone made a HUGE deal about it. So we kissed...peck seriously... it was awkward...my brother was right there! Anyhoo... After a few days of seeing him every night, we ended up at Charlie's house after church on December 22nd and we were playing our millionth game of Rook when Morris' phone rang. He got up and took it in another room. Me and my Guard immediately think...Another girl? Yes it was, HIS MOM! She was MAD! he was supposed to be home at 10 and it was like 10:45! He had left his car at the church and rode with Lee, so I offered to run him back because I really needed to get home too. So we jump in the car and take off! The whole time we are just talking about Christmas plans and things like that. We arrive at his car and I turn to him and say "I really hope you don't get in trouble!" We look at each other for and a few seconds eternity and out of no where he leans over and kisses me! HALLELUJAH! Seriously the Heavens were chanting and fireworks were bursting! Then SLAM! a car door! We look up and there is my Brother dropping Steven at his car! Nervously "See you later" and he out of my car, into his and gone before I could grasp what had just happened! I drove home and couldn't believe it! I was shocked! Excited, but also a little cautious.
The next day after work I did something I NEVER do. I called Morris' house and his Mom picked up
"Is Morris there"
"Just one minute"
"Hello?"
"Morris?"
*chuckle by the man on the other end*
"You must be looking for Little Morris"
"Hello?"
"Hey Morris, are you grounded?"
"No but I am headed to play ping pong, what is your cell? I will call you when I am done and we can all hang out"
I gave him my number and proceed to "get ready"!!! After about an hour and half I got his call. We were all meeting at Harvard's for a game of rook. It was Me, Morris, Lee and Harvard and that was it. A lot of people had already gone out of town or were with family. The rest of us didn't have anything going on until the next day. We played until about 10 and left because Morris had to get home on time! Lee and Harvard were talking about something at his car and I was getting into mine. Morris came over, put his arms around me and kissed me, but making sure no one could see. He said "I am going to Athens tomorrow to my grandparents can we talk tonight?" Of course!! We talked the whole way home and for about an hour after. When I got off the phone my Mom came to my room and said "I can't help but wonder who that was?" I told her it was Morris and she laughed.
You have to keep in mind that NO ONE knew what was going on.
Morris got back the day after Christmas which was Sunday and that night the whole group went to TGI Fridays and then to a house that Laura N was house sitting. (don't worry we were good kids, the group was only there for a little bit and only used the couch, table and chairs) On the way to the house, Morris and I rode with Steven and Lee in Steven's car. We were in the back seat. You must understand this was the first and last time I rode with Steven! He drove like a crazy person. He literally slung me all over that back seat! But it worked out good because Morris slowly and secretively reached over to hold my hand! (don't you remember those days when holding hands would give you butterflies) When we got to the house the whole group went and hung out for a short time, but Morris and I kept finding ways to get away and talk. We would go get something to drink in the kitchen together, etc. 
The next night was December 27th and Morris had asked to take me on our first date. He picked me and we went to Red Lobster for dinner. We were both a nervous wreck. I thought it was going to be very awkward, but it wasn't. We talked as if we had known each other forever. After, we went to the Rave in Vestavia to see Catch Me If You Can.  We had a great time and Morris got me home at a decent hour...brownie points for my dad!
That following Sunday was the first time we "Came out". Lee and my parents knew but the Group didn't know. Morris held my hand during church and we both fielded questions afterwards. We spent every free moment together, mostly with the group. Then New Year's Eve he had the whole group to his house for a late night. We hung out until about 1 in the morning. At this point we were really struggling with the fact that I was moving to Florida in 2 days and he was headed back to AR in 4 days. We spent the remainder of the days together and didn't really talk about what would happen after we left. I knew how I felt. I wasn't sure if the long distance thing would work but I knew I really LIKED him! I really didn't want it to end. I talked to him all the way up to the minute I left on Friday. I didn't expect to hear from him and I was determined that I was not going to call him. My parents and I were in Tampa with my Aunt and cousins. We had gone to a Chinese restaurant Sunday night. I was sitting there talking with my cousins and having a good time when my phone started ringing. I looked down at it and it was him! I jumped up and ran outside.
"Hey!"
"Hey!"
"I am out eating with my family, Can I call you back when I get to the hotel?"
"Sure!"
"Ok great! I will talk to you soon!"
"Ok Bye"
Apparently it was written all over my face because everyone was smiling at me when I got back. My mom asked if it was him..."Yes!"
That night I called him from outside our hotel room and talked for just a little while. He had gotten back to Harding and was playing Ping Pong with the guys. I told him I wasn't sure he would call and he said "I couldn't stop thinking about you and I knew this was different! I want to keep seeing you" So we did. We talked everyday but only got to see each other 3 times over the next 4 months! We both met back home the weekend of January 24th to go to the Tim McGraw concert. Our song is "My Kind of Rain". When he was hugging me goodnight, in my ear he said "I love you". I pulled back and looked at him, smiled and said "I love you too". I had know for a few weeks that I was totally in love with him, but was absolutely terrified of saying it! I was so glad he said it first! It had only been about 33 days since we started our relationship and even less since everyone else knew but we knew. We knew where this was going and it was ok if it went there fast.
1-25-03
1-26-03
3-15-03
I came home for spring break and Morris met me in Birmingham. My parents agreed to let him take me back to Harding for the week and see what it was like.
4-13-03
I stayed with this sister in her suite, I attended chapel for his roommate, Nathan, and we just had a good time. The day we left for Harding, my dad slipped Morris $50! He says to this day that Dad paid him to date me!
We both returned to Birmingham for the Summer. We spend every second outside of work together. At the time I was working for my dad and Morris had a construction job. We spent a lot of our time with our friends from church. We even went camping at Oak Mt. State Park at the end of May.
5-23-03

In the fall of 2003 I transferred to Harding and off we went to AR for a whole new adventure.


1 comment:

  1. how you gonna leave me hanging like that?!?!?!? lol. You look exactly the same, but oh my... Morris looks SO different!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...